A two-fer! While I’m canning chicken, I may as well can some corned beef, too!

Yes, Dear Reader … it’s that time of year! The time–shortly before/after St. Patrick’s Day–when you can actually find corned beef in the grocery stores at something that at least resembles a deal! It’s such a special item for so many–an item they only eat for St. Patty’s–that there’s just not enough call for it (at least … anywhere I’ve ever lived, which includes Savannah, GA … known for having one of the largest St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in the US) for there to ever really be any good sales on it. At best, you can hope for a few days where you can find points for $1.99/lb … and flats for somewhere around $2.69/lb.

What are points and flats? you ask.

Corned Beef is generally made from a beef brisket. It’s a long cut of meat that has a thick layer of fat on one side, and long, tough meat fibers running from end to end. Points are the two pieces your butcher cuts off of either end of the brisket. There, you tend to find a lot more fat … and the meat fibers were attached to other cuts, so they tend to go in lots of different directions, which sometimes makes a point tougher than a flat, in addition to being fattier.

In comparison, a flat is the center section of the brisket. It tends to be a more expensive cut of meat because of the fact that all the fibers run in pretty much the same direction, allowing you to easily make cuts across the grain … which can help tenderize your corned beef brisket as well.

Canning corned beef is almost as easy as canning chicken breasts. In fact, I ran a production line with the batch of chicken I put up (15 jars) with the corned beef (another 15 jars) right behind it. It made for a long evening, but well worth the work!

Start by opening your packages of corned beef. Drain all the juice into a large bowl. It’s flavored: don’t discard it. Also retain the spice packet. You’ll need that later, too.

Take the piece of meat and cut away any obvious hunks of excess fat, then slice it into roughly 3/4-inch chunks. After you cut up each chunk, sprinkle the spices over it.

Once you have all the meat chunks cut up, mix the juice and spices among the chunks evenly.

Pack your corned beef into pints (I use wide-mouths), and then process it at 75 minutes for under 1,000 ft of elevation, adjust if you live at a higher altitude. As always, use the NCHFP recommended times for processing your corned beef

Voila! :)

How do you use it? That’s easy! Sandwiches! Ruben Casserole! Corned beef hash, which uses my canned potatoes, too. Steam some cabbage, onions, and potatoes … then open a jar and let it heat with all their flavors incorporated. There’s even more from there … so use your imagination :)

About Lane

Just a canner ... on this food journey called life :)
This entry was posted in Canning Goodies! and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to A two-fer! While I’m canning chicken, I may as well can some corned beef, too!

1. Gelica says:

YUMMY! I’ve got a big, beautiful corned beef flat in the fridge just waiting for St. Patrick’s Day! I can’t wait! By the way, it’s so important to me that I paid $4.49 a pound for it!

2. Lane says:

Ack! That’s expensive there, kiddo … but–from the way you described it on the phone earlier–it sounds like a very nice piece of meat :)

While it’s cheap, I bought more corned beef today to can ($1.99/lb at WinCo) … but I also bought a “corned round roast” there today, too … for $3.69/lb. It was just so lean and pretty I had to buy it, and I have plans to roast it on my electric rotisserie over the weekend. That’s what I use to regular cook eye of round: it’s too tough cooked any other way, but grilled rotisserie-style to a nice pink medium rare, then sliced think across the grain … an eye of round is absolutely delicious … AND it’s amazingly tender, too, when you slice it thin and across the grain. That’s the plan for the corned beef round roast :)

3. Sheila says:

OK My Love… YA GONE AND DONE IT AGAIN.. hey sweetie I am old ya know… That’s why I is the MOMMA..
    ok… Judy finally got better and I got a pedicure.. monday thank god..
    We went shopping today.. finally,, eggs at aldi’s ..1.12 a doz
    I got.. 2 really nice C.Beef Points for 1.99 a pound.. maybe 10 pounds I will put in jars .remember just me to eat it…. but first I must deal with the.. 2 big trays of GIZZARDS.. I read the test out.. I will grill the onions.. what maybe 1/2 done??? and how about using chix base instead of salt??? I will do the clear jel and let them set.. to hold on to it….. now this I will do tomorrow.. the corn b can just wait all sealed in its nice pkg…
    Then while in food depot… we got to talking to a very special black lady.. god she was precious.. and I sure hope she does call and we can visit .. she had..14 kids.. and i raised 7..
    she was buying.. I guess they are strips of salted fat back??????? salted fat is all i know.. she told me to boil/soak them out and change the water 3 times then put them in an Iron skillet and fry them up crispy.. god I can hardly wait. .. I ask her how to eat them and she said… fried up on a good biscuit. or cracklin’s in cornbread… well i don’t do them nasty white fluffy things..never have liked them.. was not raised on them either.. but I have made a blasted boat load of em……..when we left she give judy and I both a huge hug and it just made my day……..lovely lady.. soo while i am messing with the GIZZARDS I will put them on to boil/soak and get read to fry them out…yummmmy………see I never knew what to do with them.. now i sure do.hehehehhehehehe

4. Lane says:

Chicken bullion would be perfect to season the chicken gizzards! Just remember to season them heavy enough to cover those onions/gravy, too!

Those strips of fatback boiled and then fried like that are what my Aunt Cat (who’s spent most of her life in your same general neck of the woods) calls “fried meat.” Back on my trip on one of these posts, I’ve got a picture of her plate with some on it at the Old Times Buffet. As I say there, that’s the kind of stuff that makes cardiologists have convulsions … but Aunt Cat’s been eating that stuff her whole life (and frequently!) … and she’s in her 80s … so I guess it just depends on your genes!

And make note of that restaurant’s name, honey! Trust me when I say it … you would LOVE eating there! There’s one in Dublin, Warner Robbins, and Macon … so if you ever take a drive South … you know where you can get lunch/dinner! Here’s their website so you have it! :)

5. Shirel says:

I found points yesterday for $1.59 a pound. I bought three. Guess what I’m going to be doing soon? Today I am smoking a pork roast and a turkey so it will have to wait until tomorrow. — Shirel

6. Lane says:

WHERE? WHERE? *giggle*

That’s a great deal, Shirel! And smoked pork and turkey are my two favorites! :)

7. Elaine Miller says:

I just wanted to say a big “Thank You!” for posting this how-to on canning the corned beef. We bought twelve of them while they were on sale with the intent on canning them, but then couldn’t find a recipe. I searched for over thirty minutes before running into yours. Our home smells luscious right now. We have just finished the first batch, the second one is sitting in the pressure cooker and the third batch is being prepped. Thanks again for sharing. This is a keeper recipe!! <3

8. Lane says:

Hi Elaine! :)

You’re quite welcome! And I’m glad you found me, too … I know I wouldn’t have room for 12 packages of corned beef in my freezer!

Like I said in the post, when it’s canned … you can’t get nice slices back out of it … but who cares! You get tender, full-cooked corned beef for sandwiches, hash, or just about any other corned beef meal you’d like to eat … with some juice leftover to cook your cabbage (or whatever) in, too. That’s really useful around here because my husband doesn’t like corned beef and cabbage … but I do … so I open a jar, make him sandwiches out of part of the meat … then I heat the juice, and use that to reconstitute some dehydrated cabbage for me. Mmmmm! Two great meals in the same jar! 8)

I hope you like it as much as we do, Elaine! And be sure to come back and let me know how opening your first jar goes … k? :)

9. Elaine Miller says:

Well we did open up a couple of jars last night after making a run for some french rolls for sandwiches :-) (It smelled so good after we opened up the first batch that we changed our dinner plans) How funny, my hubby doesn’t quite care for corned beef and cabbage either, although he does like corned beef and he does like cabbage, just not together 😉 So tell me about dehydrating cabbage please :-) I have been on a dehydrating binge lately, but have only done fruits. Do you do anything different for vegetables?

Thanks again and take care :-)

10. Lane says:

Hi again :)

I know what you mean about the corned beef smell making you hungry when you’re canning it. You and your husband did the same thing we did 8)

As far as dehydrating goes, I always check the NCHFP first. As you’ll see once you download the .pdf from Colorado State that deals with vegetables in general, they do recommend blanching most vegetables first–before you put them into the dehydrator–in order to stop the enzymatic action that makes them rot. Plus, it helps kill any “canning cooties” (which are just as problematic in dehydrating as they are in canning) that may be present on the vegetables, too. You can blanch them in either water, or in a citric acid solution which will prevent browning as well.

However, what they don’t mention to you on either the site or that .pdf is … most frozen vegetables come pre-blanched. The processors do it to stop that same enzymatic action … and to kill the cooties, too. In addition, many of the veggies–usually, the ones that tend to discolor–have already been treated with citric acid as well. Check the labels on your bags of frozen veggies to be sure.

This means that you can usually take frozen veggies, allow them to thaw, drain off any excess water (I tend to just let them thaw in a colander … it does both at once) and then put them straight into your dehydrator. How easy is that? Plus–bonus points–you can find some really inexpensive frozen veggies sometimes, especially if you haunt sales :)

Also, when it comes to certain kinds of vegetables–cabbage in particular, or anything else I can find sold this way–I also dehydrate bags of fresh slaw: cole slaw mix, broccoli slaw, others when I find them. These veggies haven’t been blanched, but they’re usually cut very small/dehydrate very fast … which helps protect them in the jar. You can choose to blanch them, too–and I’d suggest it if you’re planning on putting up jars of this that you may keep for a year/longer–but I’ve found that if I just dry a bag … put it into a jar with a lid so that I keep the air away from it … and keep it away from the light , too … that dried slaw will easily last six months to a year, without doing anything to it other than opening the bag and spreading it across my dehydrator trays. Since I’m the only one eating it–and I tend to make single-serve meals, using cabbage as just one of my ingredients–that’s about how long it takes me to eat a jar of dehydrated cabbage and carrots.

Note: when drying classic cole slaw, they ALWAYS seem to leave their carrot pieces much larger than their cabbage slices … so the carrots are always the last thing to dry. That’s okay. Just leave it all there until your carrots are dry enough to snap, then seal your pieces away from the air. You’re not going to “over-dry” your cabbage in the process. It comes back just fine!

I hope this helps, and thanks for stopping by! :)